Wear your crown a little crooked

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I have to go back to New Orleans

This blog began with lists, so it seems relevant to note that New Orleans has been #2 on my list of places I want to visit (topped only by India) for something like 10 years. I finally got to visit this past weekend, and three days there assured me that:
1. My travel instincts are well-honed by this point;
2. Jessie Stewart is a fabulous travel companion;
3. It's possible to combine vacation and academic rigour (yes, for this list I reserve the right to use British spelling);
4. The best places are the most complicated; and
5. I have to go back to New Orleans.

Here are a few pictures of my escapades in the French Quarter...

Fun with a street performer:

Jessie trying on a mask:

Me looking a little phased and masked:

In my opinion, the coolest mask in the shop:

Me with my best New Orleans smirk:

Jessie and Naida at Muriel's (yummy):

Me and Naida at Muriel's:

It didn't seem right to smile while posing with Fats Domino's piano, which was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina and on display at the Louisiana State Museum:

With Lindsay, pre-absinthe, in a pirate-themed bar in the French Quarter that was part of the "scandalous stories" tour on which we drank ourselves silly:

Me+absinthe=warm and fuzzies and later some tears too:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home