New art!!!
Yesterday we went to Makanda Fest, and the whimsical mutli-textile sculpture I bought at the store Dayshift inspired my latest list (art purchases in southern Illinois from most to least recent):
1. "Free and Easy" by (I forgot the artist's name)

*5X7 sculpture hangs by string from a nail, its beak is made out of a slice of a book, its ostrich feathers tempt my cats, and its compass offers direction

2. "Blunder 09" by Edie Overturf

*Alice in Wonderland scene with Alice being dragged by the Queen of Hearts
3. "New York scene" by Edyta Blaszczyk
*After I bought this picture for a donation to the Ryan Rendleman scholarship fund, Jessie helped me pick the matting and frame. Thanks Edyta for making this eccentric NYC street scene!
4. "Crazy Cat Lady Mug Shot" by Tracey Weiersmueller
* Me and Whimsy just a few months before she died. Tracey chose our mug shot for her postcards to announce the show, and it was such a lovely surprise to see Whimsy all over the place. When the show was censored by SIUC Chancellor Sam Goldman, Charlie and I led a protest that helped bring attention to the show. You can read more about it here: http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=1098510.
5. "Ampersand" by Kevin Curry

* This ampersand was made from leftover neon signage. Because it's hard to see the rich texture, here are two angles. The multiple meanings of the & have always inspired me.




1 Comments:
A house full of interesting art- the only thing better than that I suppose is finding more pieces to add to the collection! Great pics!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home